- Advanced search
Unless otherwise stated all data on this page refer to the human proteins. Gene information is provided for human (Hs), mouse (Mm) and rat (Rn).
The SLC20 family is looked upon not only as ion transporters, but also as retroviral receptors. As ion transporters, they are sometimes referred to as Type III sodium-phosphate co-transporters, alongside Type I (SLC17 family) and Type II (SLC34 family). PiTs are cell-surface transporters, composed of ten TM domains with extracellular C- and N-termini. PiT1 is a focus for dietary phosphate and vitamin D regulation of parathyroid hormone secretion from the parathyroid gland. PiT2 appears to be involved in intestinal absorption of dietary phosphate.
* Key recommended reading is highlighted with an asterisk
* Biber J, Hernando N, Forster I. (2013) Phosphate transporters and their function. Annu. Rev. Physiol., 75: 535-50. [PMID:23398154]
Collins JF, Bai L, Ghishan FK. (2004) The SLC20 family of proteins: dual functions as sodium-phosphate cotransporters and viral receptors. Pflugers Arch., 447 (5): 647-52. [PMID:12759754]
* Forster IC, Hernando N, Biber J, Murer H. (2013) Phosphate transporters of the SLC20 and SLC34 families. Mol. Aspects Med., 34 (2-3): 386-95. [PMID:23506879]
* Marks J, Debnam ES, Unwin RJ. (2010) Phosphate homeostasis and the renal-gastrointestinal axis. Am. J. Physiol. Renal Physiol., 299 (2): F285-96. [PMID:20534868]
* Miyamoto K, Haito-Sugino S, Kuwahara S, Ohi A, Nomura K, Ito M, Kuwahata M, Kido S, Tatsumi S, Kaneko I et al.. (2011) Sodium-dependent phosphate cotransporters: lessons from gene knockout and mutation studies. J Pharm Sci, 100 (9): 3719-30. [PMID:21567407]
* Shobeiri N, Adams MA, Holden RM. (2013) Phosphate: an old bone molecule but new cardiovascular risk factor. Br J Clin Pharmacol, [Epub ahead of print]. [PMID:23506202]
Virkki LV, Biber J, Murer H, Forster IC. (2007) Phosphate transporters: a tale of two solute carrier families. Am. J. Physiol. Renal Physiol., 293 (3): F643-54. [PMID:17581921]
Database page citation:
SLC20 family of sodium-dependent phosphate transporters. Accessed on 24/02/2017. IUPHAR/BPS Guide to PHARMACOLOGY, http://www.guidetopharmacology.org/GRAC/FamilyDisplayForward?familyId=195.
Concise Guide to PHARMACOLOGY citation:
Alexander SPH, Kelly E, Marrion N, Peters JA, Benson HE, Faccenda E, Pawson AJ, Sharman JL, Southan C, Davies JA and CGTP Collaborators (2015) The Concise Guide to PHARMACOLOGY 2015/16: Transporters. Br J Pharmacol. 172: 6110-6202.