- Advanced search
- Immuno Portal
- Malaria Portal
Synonyms: aldesleukin | interleukin-2 | Proleukin®
IL-2 is an approved drug (FDA (1992))
Compound class: Endogenous peptide in human, mouse or rat
Comment: IL-2 and IL-15 are cytokines that share common biological effects, but also exhibit distinct, and sometimes competing, functions . Recombinant IL-2 is used clinically with the generic name aldesleukin.
Abbas et al. (2018) have written a review of IL-2 biology and the progress that has been made in developing IL-2 therapeutics .
View more information in the IUPHAR Pharmacology Education Project: interleukin-2
1. Abbas AK, Trotta E, R Simeonov D, Marson A, Bluestone JA. (2018)
Revisiting IL-2: Biology and therapeutic prospects.
Sci Immunol, 3 (25). [PMID:29980618]
2. Braisted AC, Oslob JD, Delano WL, Hyde J, McDowell RS, Waal N, Yu C, Arkin MR, Raimundo BC. (2003)
Discovery of a potent small molecule IL-2 inhibitor through fragment assembly.
J. Am. Chem. Soc., 125 (13): 3714-5. [PMID:12656598]
3. Fontenot JD, Rasmussen JP, Gavin MA, Rudensky AY. (2005)
A function for interleukin 2 in Foxp3-expressing regulatory T cells.
Nat. Immunol., 6 (11): 1142-51. [PMID:16227984]
4. Klatzmann D, Abbas AK. (2015)
The promise of low-dose interleukin-2 therapy for autoimmune and inflammatory diseases.
Nat. Rev. Immunol., 15 (5): 283-94. [PMID:25882245]
5. Trotta E, Bessette PH, Silveria SL, Ely LK, Jude KM, Le DT, Holst CR, Coyle A, Potempa M, Lanier LL et al.. (2018)
A human anti-IL-2 antibody that potentiates regulatory T cells by a structure-based mechanism.
Nat. Med., 24 (7): 1005-1014. [PMID:29942088]
6. Waldmann TA. (2006)
The biology of interleukin-2 and interleukin-15: implications for cancer therapy and vaccine design.
Nat. Rev. Immunol., 6 (8): 595-601. [PMID:16868550]