- Advanced search
- Immuno Portal
- Malaria Portal
Abbreviated name: CA
Synonyms: cholate | Cholbam® | Kolbam® | Orphacol&Reg;
cholic acid is an approved drug (EMA (2013), FDA (2015))
Compound class: Metabolite or derivative
Comment: Cholic acid is a primary bile acid. Along with chenodeoxycholic acid, it is one of the two major bile acids synthesized from cholesterol in the liver.
Ligand Activity Visualisation Charts
These are box plot that provide a unique visualisation, summarising all the activity data for a ligand taken from ChEMBL and GtoPdb across multiple targets and species. Click on a plot to see the median, interquartile range, low and high data points. A value of zero indicates that no data are available. A separate chart is created for each target, and where possible the algorithm tries to merge ChEMBL and GtoPdb targets by matching them on name and UniProt accession, for each available species. However, please note that inconsistency in naming of targets may lead to data for the same target being reported across multiple charts.✖
1. Craddock AL, Love MW, Daniel RW, Kirby LC, Walters HC, Wong MH, Dawson PA. (1998)
Expression and transport properties of the human ileal and renal sodium-dependent bile acid transporter.
Am J Physiol, 274 (1 Pt 1): G157-69. [PMID:9458785]
2. Kawamata Y, Fujii R, Hosoya M, Harada M, Yoshida H, Miwa M, Fukusumi S, Habata Y, Itoh T, Shintani Y, Hinuma S, Fujisawa Y, Fujino M. (2003)
A G protein-coupled receptor responsive to bile acids.
J Biol Chem, 278: 9435-9440. [PMID:12524422]
3. Maruyama T, Miyamoto Y, Nakamura T, Tamai Y, Okada H, Sugiyama E, Nakamura T, Itadani H, Tanaka K. (2002)
Identification of membrane-type receptor for bile acids (M-BAR).
Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 298 (5): 714-9. [PMID:12419312]
4. Meier PJ, Eckhardt U, Schroeder A, Hagenbuch B, Stieger B. (1997)
Substrate specificity of sinusoidal bile acid and organic anion uptake systems in rat and human liver.
Hepatology, 26 (6): 1667-77. [PMID:9398014]
5. Parks DJ, Blanchard SG, Bledsoe RK, Chandra G, Consler TG, Kliewer SA, Stimmel JB, Willson TM, Zavacki AM, Moore DD, Lehmann JM. (1999)
Bile acids: natural ligands for an orphan nuclear receptor.
Science, 284 (5418): 1365-8. [PMID:10334993]
6. Wang H, Chen J, Hollister K, Sowers LC, Forman BM. (1999)
Endogenous bile acids are ligands for the nuclear receptor FXR/BAR.
Mol Cell, 3 (5): 543-53. [PMID:10360171]